Paratransit is a curb-to-curb transportation service for individuals whose disability prevents them from using regularly scheduled JTRAN buses—permanently, temporarily, or under certain circumstances.
Who is eligible for Paratransit?
Disability alone does lead to Paratransit eligibility. Individuals must have a disability that prevents them from using JTRAN bus service, including getting to or from bus stops.
How to apply
- Application form. Fill out the application form and email it to us at email@example.com, or fax it to us at 601-326-5416, or mail it to us, or drop it off in person. The application must include a medical certification, which is Part B of the application form.
- Mail: JTRAN Paratransit, 1785 Hwy 80 W, Jackson, MS 39204
- In-person drop-off: JTRAN Main Office, 1785 Hwy 80 W, Jackson, MS 39204, or JTRAN Customer Service Office, Union Station, 300 W Capitol St, Jackson, MS 39207
- Paratransit ID card. JTRAN will assess your eligibility. If JTRAN determines you are eligible, you will schedule an appointment to get a Paratransit ID Card. You will need this card to use Paratransit.
If you are visiting the City of Jackson and use ADA paratransit where you live, you can also use JTRAN Paratransit. Call 601-952-1000, or TTY/TTD , Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for more information.
How to ride
Step 1: Reserve
- Reserve at least 1 day before you want to make a trip. Reservations can be made up to 14 days in advance. You can reserve multiple trips at the same time.
- To reserve, use the Ecolane app anytime, or call 601-952-1000, Option 2, or TTY/TTD 711, Monday – Saturday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Leave a voicemail if reserving outside of these hours (select option 2).
- Tell us where and when you want to go. (Where and when is paratransit available?) Have the following information ready:
- Name and phone number
- Where you would like to be picked up
- Where you are going
- When you need to arrive at your destination
- If and when you would like to return
- Any special needs
Trips MUST start and end within 0.75 miles of a JTRAN bus route.
- If you need to cancel a reservation, notify us at least 1 hour before the trip. You can cancel by phone or in the app.
- Trip negotiation. A reservationist can negotiate the requested pickup or drop-off time within a one-hour window before or after the rider’s requested time.
Subscribing for Paratransit trips
You can subscribe to regularly scheduled recurring trips. Some restrictions apply. Call us to ask about Paratransit subscriptions at 601-952-1000, Option 2, or TTY/TTD 711, Monday – Saturday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Step 2: Get ready
- Be ready during your pick-up window. The driver can only wait 5 minutes after they arrive at the pick-up location. Delays make it difficult to stay on time for later trips.
- Be visible at the entrance of your pick-up location. Drivers may assist passengers between the entrance of a building and the Paratransit vehicle, but they must maintain a line of sight to their vehicle.
- Pay the fare. Pay the fare to the operator. One accompanying Personal Care Attendant (PCA) rides free with an eligible Paratransit passenger. Accompanying children under 5 ride free. Any other accompanying guests must also pay the fare. Space for accompanying passengers is limited based on demand. Learn more about paratransit fares
Step 3: Ride
- Service animals are allowed on JTRAN vehicles and in JTRAN facilities. For safety reasons, operators are not permitted to handle service animals.
- Packages and Personal belongings. While packages are allowed on the vehicle, operators do not provide assistance loading or unloading packages, personal items, groceries, or luggage. The number of packages allowed is only what a rider (or PCA, companion, or child) can carry on or off the vehicle in one (1) trip. Riders will be required to secure their packages at their seats, as storage space on the vehicle is limited.
- Wear a seatbelt. Riders and drivers are required to wear seat belts/shoulder harnesses. Child car seats are not available; passengers must bring their own if needed.
- Enjoy your ride! Make sure to follow JTRAN rules. Learn more about JTRAN rules
Where and when is Paratransit available?
Paratransit trips must start and end within 0.75 miles of a JTRAN bus route.
Paratransit trips can be made at the following times:
- Monday – Friday, 5:15 a.m. to 7:45 p.m., with the last pickup at 6:45 p.m.
- Saturday, 6:45 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., with the last pickup at 5:30 p.m.
Paratransit is not available on Sundays, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Paratransit One-way Fare
Paratransit 20-Ride Pack
One Personal Care Attendant (PCA) rides free with an eligible Paratransit passenger.
In addition to PCAs, space for accompanying passengers is limited based on demand. Accompanying children 5 and under ride free. Any other accompanying guests must also pay the fare.
Where and how to pay
On Paratransit vehicles
Paratransit One-Way Fares are available for purchase on board Paratransit vehicles. Riders can pay with cash or use a paratransit coupon. All fare payments made in cash must be for the exact amount. Operators do not carry change.
At JTRAN offices
The Twenty Ride (20) Coupon Booklet for $40.00 may be purchased at the JTRAN Administrative Office or Union Station Customer Service Office. Cash only (no bills over $20).
JTRAN Main Office
1785 Hwy 80 W, Jackson, MS 39204
JTRAN Customer Service Office
Union Station, 300 W Capitol St, Jackson, MS 39207